Debby Kratovil's Guild Programs & Trunk Shows
I am available for one hour Guild Programs (see topics below) and for 3 hour and 6 hour Workshops (class list available upon request and also partially represented at my web site). I have made quilt samples for magazines and fabric companies for 22 years, so I have a LOT of quilts to demonstrate in my programs! Please contact me for fees, availability and scheduling.
One Hour Programs
(I bring between 2 and 3 dozen quilts and sample blocks for each of these trunk shows.)
- Turning 60 - The Joys of Hex: What's that - gasp? For the better part of 22 years I have revisited my favorite angle and 60 degree ruler (which I call my Power Tool) and have created dozens of traditional and innovative quilts. From Twisted Hexagons, Spiderwebs, Half Hexagon Braid Strippies, Circles of Hexagons, Traditional Sugarloaf, Sparkling Diamonds, Seven Sisters, even Dresden Plate quilts featuring the 60 degree angle. And Dresdens with 30 degree angles. How about Thousand Pyramids? Leftovers from Thousand Pyramids? I will explain how to cut out many 60 degree shapes with ONLY your generic 60 degree triangle ruler. Really? Yes: whole and half hexagons; 30 degree setting triangles for those hexagons; and even 60 degree diamonds. I introduce working with border prints, fussy cutting motifs - and bring a LOT of quilts and samples to check out up close. Be prepared to be surprised, and enjoy every minute of it! Oh, and did I say that we don't use "no stinkin' y-seams"?
- Strips, Logs and Scrap Buster Quilts: The Log Cabin still remains the perennial favorite of all quilts. But, this is not your grandmother’s Log Cabin Quilt in my presentation. I begin with tradition and my quilts progressively demonstrate variations on the basic block. The Greek Key is a spiral log cabin and takes on a personality of its own in traditional red and white and then scraps. Off Center Logs can be butterflies and even pointed palm leaves! Strips don’t have to be the same width, which results in a visual dance of logs and colors as seen in Debby’s Pixie Sticks. Stars have log cabin blocks as their center as well as houses and yes, birdhouses! And sometimes log cabin blocks are just a frame around traditional applique (can you say Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam?). Debby also created 8 patterns in partnership with Gees Bend and Windham fabrics. Several are log cabin variations, like Courthouse Steps, which she will also talk about. Come ready to be inspired and encouraged to dig into your own scraps and strips and make something vintage become contemporary.
- The Naked Quilter: What goes on inside the head of a published quilt author? You ask, “How did she take that simple block and get where she did in that fabulous and fun quilt?” And, more importantly, how in the world did she get published in the first place? With more than 22 years as a published author, Debby also designs patterns and quilt samples for major fabric companies. Her quilts have appeared on more than 2 dozen quilt magazine covers over the years and she isn’t finished yet! In her lecture and trunk show she will “get naked” with all her secrets for making quilts that continue to grace the pages of magazines and books. If your Walter Mitty dream is to see your own creations get a chance to appear in print, come hear Debby’s lively lecture and learn the inside scoop on how to take the next step.
- Shortcuts From a Short Woman: This is a trunk show bursting with tips, tricks, shortcuts and a variety of innovations that will satisfy any quilter. I demonstrate traditional blocks made with non-traditional methods. With 25-35 quilts I show quick ways to create otherwise difficult blocks and finishing techniques: taking out the y-seam on Lone Stars; no handsewing of quilt labels, rod pockets and binding - no kidding! I am always making new samples, so every time I give this trunk show I have at least a dozen new quilts using the latest fabrics. I am the Queen of Tips and Tricks and I love to share these things to make your quilting life easier and more fun.
- Tips & Tricks With Tools & Templates: As the Queen of Tools and Templates, I rule my sewing room with my magic scepter. I have a trick to just about any difficult block, to make it bend to my command. I have tools for making Eight Pointed Stars (without any hand work or set in seams), new Dresden Plate designs (have you seen my Vortex quilts?), EZ Double Wedding Ring creations using a simplified tool and raw edge applique. I use Coffee Filters for paper piecing, fold one shape to create another, and streamline even the most cantankerous of fussy quilt units. This is a trunk show filled with quilts, blocks, samples and fun tips that even the most experienced quilter will learn something new.
I am happy to supply more details on any of the above to interested guilds or shops.
Please visit my blog for more inspiration: http://DebbyKratovilQuilts.blogspot.com
© Copyright Debby Kratovil 2017 . All Rights Reserved